Friday, February 5, 2010

It's your turn (to blog for us)

True confession: As a teenager I watched ... no, not only did I watch, I enjoyed, some of the worst movies ever created. Gory, B-rate (at best) horror movies were my favorites. Like most who have witnessed these abominations of cinema, I saw them much more as comedy than anything else. The notion that these stories were supposed to frighten audiences was, well, comical.

One of my all-time favorites was Truth or Dare. No, not the one with Madonna. I never saw that one. This one isn't even worth describing, except for a single line from it that has stuck in my head for more than 20 years. At one point, as a group of people play the adolescent game that is the movie's namesake, a particularly disgrunted player says, "It's your turn. Your turn!" It was one of those things that took on a life of its own. The small group of us who watched the movie that day made, "It's your turn. Your turn!" part of our everyday lexicon.

Now that I have updated you on a part of my history that is more frightening (and probably more pathetic) than all those movies I saw, I tell you in a much more serious tone, it's your turn. Your turn to put your name and, importantly, your thoughts in this space we call The Cabling Blog.

Since we launched the blog in October, my colleague Matt Vincent and I have mixed facts, opinions, and some oddball stuff into this space. Hopefully you have found it educational, or at least entertaining. But we know what will make it an even more worthwhile destination for professionals in the cabling industry is the inclusion of peer-to-peer perspective on your challenges, accomplishments, and stories--good and bad--from the jobsite.

So we're inviting each of you to "audition" to be bloggers. Here are the ground rules.
1. Write about something that is important, from a technology and/or a business standpoint, to cabling industry professionals.
2. Don't try to use this space as an opportunity to sell your goods or services.
3. Likewise, this blog is neither the official nor the unofficial "Festivus Airing of Grievances" place from which you can heave your frustrations with a particular individual or organization. Opinions are good. Lawsuits, generally, are not.
4. Of course, our audience makes the ultimate choice. If your blog entries are popular, well-read, start a new craze, etc., you'll probably be asked to contribute regularly. Your reward for all this: Fame. Not so much fortune, necessarily, because this is a volunteer effort. But hey, fame isn't so bad, right?

Now it really is your turn. E-mail me to let me know you're interested in blogging for us.

No comments: